I think this movie was released in early 1990s... Here's a basic outline of the movie:
1. A woman whose husband is presumed KIA in Korean War hits a man.
2. She takes the man into her care and nurses her back to health.
3. The woman has a male kid and the man becomes a father figure type of person to the kid.
4. The man leaves the family and the kid becomes disheartened.
5. The woman is attending a 4th of July celebrations and her husband shows up at the party in military uniform.
6. Years later the kid - all grown up with a family - comes across the same man near the cemetery and is about to hit him. Gets out of the car and catches up to him. The man has a dog with him and the kid's family play with the dog while he chats with the man. The man says something along the lines to the kid - look around and the kid sees his family playing happily with the dog and this is what the man wanted for the kid to be happy in life...